Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Oh Freddy!

OK this is interesting, not in a good way that is. So, here we go....
(from MLB.com)

Phillies infielder Freddy Galvis has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug, the Office of the Commissioner announced on Tuesday. The ban facing Galvis, who tested positive for a metabolite of Clostebol, is effective immediately.

"I'd like to apologize to my all my fans, especially here in Philadelphia and back home in Venezuela, to my teammates and to the Phillies organization," Galvis said. "I am looking forward to putting this behind me, rehabilitating my back and returning to the Phillies as soon as possible to try to help them win another World Series."

Galvis released another statement on Twitter in Spanish that translates to English as follows:

"Sometimes life isn't fair... But that's the way it is... You have to keep moving forward and turn the page."

The loss of Galvis, whose return this season was already in jeopardy due to a fractured vertebra he sustained on June 6, is another blow to a Phillies infield that has endured various injuries, most notably to sluggers Chase Utley and Ryan Howard. Galvis had mostly served as Utley's replacement while the All-Star second baseman rehabs from knee injuries. The suspension can be served while Galvis is on the disabled list.

"A trace amount of a banned substance -- 80 parts in a trillion -- was detected in my urine sample," Gavlis said. "I am extremely disappointed in what has transpired. I cannot understand how even this tiny particle of a banned substance got into my body.

"I have not and never would knowingly use anything illegal to enhance my performance. I have always tried to follow the team's strength and conditioning methods, listen to the trainers, work out hard and eat right. Unfortunately, the rules are the rules and I will be suspended."

The Phillies released a statement of their own.

"The Phillies continue to believe in and endorse Major League Baseball's drug policy. We also support Freddy Galvis in his determination to put this matter behind him and we look forward to his return as a productive member of the Phillies as soon as possible."

Galvis, a 22-year-old rookie, has hit .226 with three home runs, 24 RBIs, 15 doubles and 14 runs scored in 58 games this season.

So....

My initial reaction was "What the heck Freddy! What were you thinking?!?!?" After letting it settle a bit, this is my opinion:

We don't even know if this is intentional. I know most probably believe it is but Freddy is denying any knowledge of the substance. I really don't know what to think. But I really want the best for Freddy. I'm really worried that this will affect his reputation and the way his career is viewed, which is a shame because he had a chance to be a very good player and he still does, but like Ryan Braun and others who have been nailed for supposedly using PEDs, some people will always put an asterix next all of his accomplishments.
Overall, I'm really hoping that Freddy can bounce back from this. He seems like a really good kid and I was getting really excited about his future. I'm most definitely going to be praying for Freddy that he can overcome this and come back strong in September. Only the best to him :)

Go Phillies! :D

~ TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment