Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Break Blog Post :P

So... Much has happened since I last blogged! In fact, much has happened with the teams I cover, so let's jump right in!

Denard Span to the Nationals: I guess its good that the Nationals finally have their "center fielder", though I just don't see why this had to happen. I think Bryce Harper could have definitely played center field like he did for a good part of last season, and Jayson Werth showed he could hit leadoff just fine when he came back from injury last season. My least favorite part of this is that is fills all three outfield spots for next year and forces the team to choose either Adam LaRoche or Michael Morse. LaRoche is a free agent and may or may not sign with the team (That's a whole other story).
If he does resign, then it is very likely that Morse will be traded. You can see my dilemma. I really really really like Morse, so I selfishly hope he stays with the team. Except, wait a second...The Nationals need a lefty reliever, the Phillies need a right handed power bat...How about Antonio Bastartdo and a couple of prospects for Morse????? Extremly unlikely, I know, but let me dream!

Another problem about this trade is it blocks a bunch of young talent, namely Tyler Moore, Roger Bernadina, and even Steve Lombardozzi. Now, while none of these guys are exactly Albert Pujols or Mike Trout, they could all probably handle a starting job, and now they are all reglegated to the bench for another season. Also, none of them cost a top pitching prospect!

Ben Revere to the Phillies: I really liked this move! I mean, I'm sad about losing the Vanimal, but we really needed a center fielder and we didn't overpay for Josh Hamilton, BJ Upton or Michael Bourn! I really don't care about the prospect lost, 'cuz I really pay much attention to prospects. The best non-intended consequence of this deal is that Kyle Kendrick is now absolutely guaranteed a rotation spot. I have always said that given the opportunity he will shine and now he has that opportunity!

I will try to post about the pitching side of things tomorrow or sometime before I go back to school!

Ciao for now!
~TBC

 


No comments:

Post a Comment